How’s this for a creative *twist* on Post Shift: Post Shift Pretzels! Let’s get baking:
12 ounces Post Shift
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 package active dry yeast or 2 and 1/4 teaspoons
2 ounces melted unsalted butter
4 and 1/2 cups flour
10 cups water for boiling
2/3 cups baking soda for boiling
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water to top pretzel
More sea salt to top pretzel
Vegetable oil for bowl
- Warm the beer to 110-115°F on stovetop.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, add the warm beer, sugar, sea salt, then sprinkle the yeast on top. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, or until it starts to get foamy.
- Add the butter and the flour. Turn the mixer to low speed and mix until dough comes together.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium to knead for 4-5 minutes. Dough with be clinging to the hook and forming a ball.
- In a clean bowl, add vegetable oil to coat sides. Quickly drop the dough into the oiled bowl, turning the ball to coat in oil as well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel, then allow to rise for about 1 hour, until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment that’s been lightly sprayed with canola oil.
- In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil.
- Meanwhile, shape pretzels. Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled surface and divide into 8 pieces. Roll out pieces, and create a “U” shape. Twist the ends of the “U” twice and then pull back down over the bottom of the “U” to make pretzel shape!
- When all pretzels are shaped, add them 2 at a time to the pot of boiling water, allow them to boil for 30 seconds. Then remove from the water and place onto baking sheets.
- Brush each pretzel with the egg mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until browned.
- Serve straight out of the oven with more Post Shift!
Check out our Instagram to see how we made them!