Founded in 2011 by three brothers, Jack, Eric, and Sam Hendler, Jack’s Abby has become a mainstay of the craft brewing scene in the Northeast and nationwide.
The Hendler brothers grew up in a family that promoted entrepreneurship and hard work. Spending summers with their grandfather and working at the family’s ice distribution company, they learned the value of committed family members and loyal employees—the foundation of which Jack’s Abby is based.
We’ve got quite the story to tell, and more in the making. Since opening, our brewery has tripled in size and is only continuing to grow. Come visit our new brewery location and Beer Hall & Kitchen, have a pint, some fresh wood-fired pizza, and learn more. Read about our expansion!
Jack’s Abby would be nothing without our growing team of dedicated men and women. We’re headed up by the three brothers: Jack Hendler as master brewer, Eric Hendler with finances, and Sam Hendler on sales.
We’re a motley crew, with lab-techs who also bartend, brewing assistants who drive forklifts—talented individuals who do everything that needs to be done for Jack’s Abby to do what it does best—brew lagers. And of course, now make delicious pizzas. Gregg Bergeron heads up the new Beer Hall & Kitchen as head Chef and General Manager.
Our team is at the heart of our business, and the reason why our beer tastes so great. Cheers!
Favorite Beer: House Lager
Favorite Beer: Mass Rising
Favorite Beer: Smoke & Dagger
Jack’s Abby only brews lagers—not ales. We not only love the taste of the lager, but also its rich history. Over 200 years ago in Bavaria, lagers were first created by storing large casks in cool caves high in the Alps. Low temperatures slowed the fermentation—while ales normally ferment for a week, brewers were seeking fermentation times upwards of 4-6 weeks, which became known as ‘lagering.’
The result of the lagering process created a smoother, fuller, more complete flavored beer. This radical change in taste and thinking pushed lagers to the forefront of Bavarian beer culture, surpassing the common ale and becoming the dominant beer of choice in the region, soon dominating all of Europe.
Jack’s Abby brews lagers, and only lagers, to give Americans the opportunity to love a beer that is loved the world over. We want to bring lager back—with quality, locally sourced ingredients and mindful brewing practices—we want to make lagers the beer lover’s first choice once again.
Begin The Process…
We use the finest domestic and imported ingredients in all of our beers and source from local vendors whenever possible. Specialty hops and malts contribute to the lager’s body, color, and flavor.
Through infusion mashing, we mix the crushed malt, or grist, with hot water in the mash tun. At temperatures ranging between 145-155 ˚F, naturally occurring enzymes in the malt convert starches into fermentable sugars. The resulting malt is then sent to the grant.
Once in a fermentation tank (we have various sizes), yeast is added to our cool wort. Fermenting at about 52 ˚F over the course of a week, the yeast converts the wort’s sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide. The beer is then lagered at 32 ˚F to condition and age until ready for drinking.
Finally, our beer is distributed to bars, restaurants, stores, and served right here in our Beer Hall for you to enjoy! Try what we’ve got on tap and bring home a growler of your favorite brew!
We enter regional and global beer festivals alike and are proud to have received some of the best commendations in the industry. Check out some of our awards below!
RateBeer Best Awards
- Top 100 Brewers Worldwide
- Best Brewer Tap Room in Massachusetts
- Hopstitution XPL #1: Gold – Pale Lager
- Hopstitution XPL #3 Calyptra: Gold – Pale Lager
- Mass Rising: Gold – Bock, Strong Lager
- Hoponius Union: Bronze – Bock, Strong Lager
- Cascadian Schwarzbier: Gold – Dark Lager
- Jack’s Abby/Evil Twin Jack’s Evil Brew: Silver – Dark Lager
- Best Brewer in Massachusetts
- Mass Rising: Gold – Pale Lager
- Hoponius Union: Gold – Bock, Strong Lager
- The ABCS: Gold – Bock, Strong Lager
- Kiwi Rising: Silver – Bock, Strong Lager
- Cascadian Schwarzbier: Silver – Dark Lager
- Jabby Brau: Gold – Pale Lager
- Kiwi Rising: Gold – Bock, Strong Lager
- Hoponius Union: Gold – Bock, Strong Lager
- Cascadian Schwarzbier: Bronze – Dark Lager
Great International Beer Festival
- Smoke & Dagger: Gold – Amber & Dark Lager
- Leisure Time Wheat Lager: Silver – Wheat, American
- House Lager: Bronze – Lager, Helles
- Smoke & Dagger: Amber & Dark Lager – Other
- Jabby Brau: Lager Ale – Mixed Styles
- Hoponius Union: Bronze – India Pale Ale
- Smoke & Dagger: Bronze – Amber Lager
- Community Hero Award
World Beer Cup
- Framinghammer: Gold – Baltic-Style Porter
- Saxonator: Bronze – German-Style Doppelbock
Great American Beer Festival
- Mass Rising: Gold – Other Strong Lager
- Smoke & Dagger: Bronze – Smoke Beer
Chamber of Commerce
- 2013 Small Business of the Year
Taste of MetroWest 2013
- Best Beverage
McCormick & Schmick’s Beer Wars
- Winner of Best Beer
Family Business Association Awards for Massachusetts
- Finalist: First Generation Businesses